EXPUNGMENT LAW PENNSYLVANIA
Expungment is the removal of the record of an arrest from your criminal record. If you were arrested but never convicted you probably do not have a criminal record but you do have an arrest record. Both a criminal record and an arrest record appear on background check.
Most employers, lending institutions, and government agencies perform background checks on potential employees or customers. Criminal and/or arrest records appearing on the background check will negatively effect your ability to obtain employment, financing, and government assistance.
In Pennsylvania, you may have the charges against you expunged in the following situations:
- you were found “not guilty” at trial;
- your charges were dropped or dismissed by the prosecution;
- you successfully completed an ARD program;
- you committed a summary offense 5 years have elapse with no other offenses;
- you are over the age of 70 and have been not been arrested for the last 10 years;
- you are dead and have been for 3 years;
- you have arrest occurred while you were a juvenile;
Expungment of your criminal and arrest record will open up oppurtunities in your life. Your employment options will multiply and you will be permitted to test for and obtain professional licenses and certifications. You will be eligible for student loans and governmental assistance programs. Your rights to possess a firearm will be restored. Priveldges such as hunting licenses and fishing licesnses will be available to you.
Free Legal Consultation
Michael N. Kotik, Esq. (PA, NJ)